Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Uplifting to the Heart and Soul

I just got home from singing in a concert. It was for Clark College's Concert Chorale, Women's Ensemble, and Skyview High School's Women's Ensemble. I am in Clark's Women's Ensemble, as well as Vocal Jazz Ensemble, and Concert Choir. (I know.. crazy! Lots of music to memorize) Our concert went well. We got some really good comments. I LOVE singing in the groups. My whole family eats, drinks, and sleeps music. I can hardly go anywhere with out singing. I am grateful for Clark's music program and those there who have taught me so much! I grow and am uplifted every time I sing with them, and it's a blast!! These are a few pictures of me singing in the Vocal Jazz Ensemble and performing my solo, "I Get Along Without You Very Well."

Music is important part of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We sings hymns at almost every meeting we have. We encourage music, dance, art, etc. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir is a well know icon of the church. Music has a powerful way of affecting the soul. Some call it the universal language. I believe that. Music has a way of penetrating all hearts. Have you ever listened to the soundtrack of a movie? You can tell what's going on in the movie, without even watching it - just by listening to the music! Music can affect someones feelings and actions like nothing us. Therefore, there is degrading and depressing music. In the Church we are encouraged to listen to uplifting and wholesome music.

From the Church's website (ww.lds.org) it says: "The hymns of the Church are a key part of worship and invite the Spirit of the Lord. They can be especially helpful in controlling one's thoughts. In contrast, unwholesome, negative music can encourage inappropriate thoughts and behavior. As with other forms of media, Church members are encouraged to be careful in their choice of music."

And from The For the Strength of Youth (a booklet on the standards of the church):

"Music is an important and powerful part of life. It can be an influence for good that helps you draw closer to Heavenly Father. However, it can also be used for wicked purposes. Unworthy music may seem harmless, but it can have evil effects on your mind and spirit.

"Choose carefully the music you listen to. Pay attention to how you feel when you are listening. Don't listen to music that drives away the Spirit, encourages immorality, glorifies violence, uses foul or offensive language, or promotes Satanism or other evil practices"

I am grateful for these guidelines that help me choose appropriate music. By my own free will I choose to listen to good music. I love all sorts (Hymns, Classical, Country, Blue Grass, Soft Rock, etc. My favorite is Musical Theater). I know that when I listen to uplifting and beautiful music, I am happier, more peaceful, and kinder to those around me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A wonderful post! I second all you have shared. My life has been dedicated to this subject - and I can add my voice to yours that music is a powerful influence and I believe it can be a direct conduit to God. I invite you to visit my website where you can enjoy more on this.

Keep the faith!

maritza said...

Hannah is my spirit is full joy. your wonderful testimony of my own hand, touched me a lot.Yes the book a Mormon is so true, the voice of music add to this subject- is great influence and our life. Yes it will guide to Heaven.